Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Onion Kid

I've been taking a long break from my PC because I've had trouble with my wrist/mouse hand/thumb. And it doesn't look like my wrist likes doing certain yoga poses, either, so I've been trying to avoid doing yoga poses that would put too much pressure on my wrists and I opt to do other types of exercises in the meantime (though other parts of my body enjoy some yoga stretches). Anyhow, this summer reminds me a bit of Indonesian rainy season because it's rained a lot. This is definitely the wettest summer that I've ever encountered ever since I moved to Finland (and the greyest/coldest too!). I've been forced to use my SAD lamp this week because my brain feels like hibernating already due to the lack of sunlight.

Anyway, I was doing some house chores today when I was reminded of the term "anak bawang" or "onion kid". I used to play a lot with my cousins and neighbours when I was young (back then a computer was considered a luxury, only owned by rich people and even then the computer was still so basic LOL!!!) so kids played a lot outside with other kids. The term "anak bawang" was used a lot at that time. It means someone who's given some slack in joining any game due to their (young) age/lack of comprehension of the game rules. Being "anak bawang" also means that you're at the bottom of the ladder, so usually you don't get to decide what to play because the games you master are the simpler ones, so you're mostly merely tagging along with the older kids. It's definitely not a nice feeling to be called "anak bawang" or "onion kid" because it means you're not taken seriously, though at the very least the older kids do let you join in their games. Still, when you're called "anak bawang", you can't help but to wish to grow up quickly he he he he he...

Do you have such a term when you were a child in your own country, I wonder? :-)


4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your wrist/hand/thumb, hope they are feeling better.
    Onion kid, that's a funny saying. And it's funny how you can be reminded of stuff from your past. I can't think of anything similar we had in the UK when I was a younger. Some of the kids used to call other kids 'flea bags' if they didn't really fit in. That was quite cruel actually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's doing better, thanks, Nikki. :-) You're right, it is funny how something can remind you of stuff from the past. :-) Oh boy..."flea bags" sounds nasty indeed.

      Delete
  2. I felt like an "onion kid" at times when I was young. Sometimes it was because I talked too much other times, kids were being just mean to me. I don't remember actual terms being given except the usual names you hear uttered by kids like "moron", "goof" or "dork". It was a long time ago when I was a kid, hehe, so they didn't even call some of us nerds yet !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose each generation has different terms. :-)

      Delete