Sunday, September 22, 2013

Ramblings on Guilt

Guilt has been on my mind lately. And I'm not talking about the necessary guilt - the kind of guilt we feel that will help propel us to become better people. I'm talking about unnecessary guilt. Do we feel that guilt because we feel that we're "bad" if we don't feel guilty at all? Do we feel the guilt because we've heard people say things that make us feel guilty? Do we feel guilty because we know people expect us to feel that way?

It's just that I'm reminded of this one incident where I made a mistake, though something that I didn't intentionally do. I didn't even know I was making the mistake at the time of the incident. I only found out about it later and the only thing I can do is just try to do better next time. And then someone made a comment that made me think, "Am I supposed to feel guilty about this?" I was sorry for making a mistake, but I wasn't actually feeling any guilt until I heard the comment. But then I started thinking...I've promised myself to do better next time, do I have to carry this guilt around as well? I refuse to do so.

But that incident made me think...did the guilt come slithering out only because I felt I was a "bad" person if I didn't feel any guilt at all? Hmmm...I'm going nowhere, I know he he he he...

Anyway, I shall leave you with this sublime video clip of The Piano Guys: Happy Together.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment