Friday, August 26, 2011

Changes

Our Indo trip is approaching fast. The last time I was there was almost 2 years ago when I visited Indo on my own. Three years ago we visited Indo for the first time after I moved to Finland, but back then I didn't feel nervous at all. I remember clearly 2 years ago I felt so nervous about going back to Indo. One reason was that I had to leave R2 behind. For the past few days I've also felt nervous about going back to Indo again, even though this time we're leaving together again.


After pondering about it, I realized some possible reasons why I feel this way:

1. Having lived in quite a safe place means I've learnt to let my guard down on most occasions. Now that we're going to Indo, I have to get prepared mentally to be alert, to beware of pickpockets and stuff like that, 'coz we're going to use public transit in Bandung as well.

2. I have to get prepared mentally as well to handle all the noise, the huge amount of people, the traffic jam, the heat, the moist weather, etc. I always thought I was a city girl until I moved here. Now I don't think I can live with daily doses of noise, too many people, traffic jam, pollution unless I absolutely have to.

3. Another mental preparation is needed when I think of all the well-meaning neighbours and or relatives who'll probably ask me about our "baby program". I was thinking of telling them, "So what if we have no kids? The world is already too full of people anyway." But that kind of answer might induce longer conversations about this topic, so I might just opt to smile and say nothing much.

I'm telling ya that nowadays Indo's "warmth" (read: the habit where your business is my business) annoys me MUCH more than it used to be. And I'm not feeling this way only for my own sake, but also for the sake of other people in Indo who "don't fit the mold". I even felt the urge to hold this campaign in FB to gather up as many Indo people as possible to be aware of "annoying questions". To read the annoying questions, click here.

Another thing I remembered from my trip 2 years ago was how much I loathed the fact that Indo people couldn't queue very well in public toilets. I don't know why but it annoys me so much now. I'd like to know how I feel this time on this matter (or any other matter that now annoy me so much about Indo).



Another change I've felt is my taste bud. There is at least one certain dish that I used to LOVE LOVE LOVE in the past, but now I've lost the ability to enjoy it. I know this doesn't only happen to me 'coz one friend who moved back to Indo after living abroad has also stated that she doesn't like many kinds of dishes that she used to love anymore. Strange but true.

Anyways, I'll report more on this after our trip to Indo. Right now I'm REALLY looking forward to our spa appointment in Bangkok and also spending time with my family and friends in Bandung. Take care, y'all and I guess when I have time I can also blog a little from Bandung! :-D

4 comments:

  1. I understand and can relate to a lot of this Amel... I think it is normal.

    I think a lot of taste buds change..but also the manufacture of some foods is altering too..and not for the better. Those using the products regularly do not notice it gradually changing... but when you have been away from a food for a while, then eat it, the change is much more pronounced.

    I hope that you have a lovely time! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Amel's Realm" has been included in this weeks A Sunday Drive. I hope this helps to attract even more new visitors here.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2011/08/sunday-drive_28.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. the your business is my business is reminiscent of me moving from one place to another also. I certainly don't have the problem nearly as much of gossipy neighbors or classmates as I did awhile back. & the thing is you know & I know they're not bad people it's just that they know other people's business and want to know YOUR BUSINESS too. That's gotta be difficult to hear ?s about "baby program". I haven't clicked on the questions that you had a link to, but I want to see it when I'm done writing this comment

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope all is going well. I can understand how nervous you must felt last time, doing the trip solo.
    I hope you are not getting quizzed too much about baby program. Must be hard, I know people mean well, but a sensitive conversation hey. x

    ReplyDelete