Tuesday, May 22, 2007

A Tribute to My Mom

Simply because I MISS my Mom, let me just re-post this blog (copied from my other blog in Friendster).


What'd I be without her? If I could be half the woman that she is (as a mother, wife, citizen, human) when I reach her age, I'd be satisfied. She's a multi-talented woman with her weaknesses and strengths (though her strengths always outdo her weaknesses). Mom's my bridge, my mentor, my friend. I like the way I can talk to her about lots of things without losing myself as a person. I like the way I can discuss lots of topics with her without having to show every little secret. I like the way she held on to us when we still needed her hand to hold on to and the way she let us go when it was time for us to walk alone. I like the way I'm given trust to grow on my own without being grabbed on too tightly. I love the way she teaches us, because it doesn't make us feel as though we were just kids who knew nothing in this world. I love the way she treats us as individuals, not kids. I love the way she lets me fly to reach my dreams. I love the way she supports me, even though sometimes she thinks way too far ahead that she worries too much about possibilities.

I love the way she bridges the gap between me and my conventional Dad. I, the Rebel, won't be able to be my own person without Mom. I like the way she becomes my friend without losing her identity as a mother. I wouldn't want it any other way. I love the way she laughs out loud as if she didn't have a care in the world. I love the way she understands me or tries to understand me. I admire her ability to forgive and forget. I love the way we joke about stuff. I love the freedom I've enjoyed since I was a kid.

All my life Mom's vast social connections have helped me in so many ways. I, the Introvert, have enjoyed the sheer benefits of Mom's versatility and connections. More than anything, I'll always be so eternally grateful for her having been there for me and my brother during our childhood. She could have rented a kiosk at the market back then, but she postponed her dream so that she could be with us and teach us until we were old enough to be left alone. I never contemplated her sacrifices until I heard firsthand my friend's experiences as a mother. I know that someday when I become a mother myself, I'll be even more grateful for everything she's done for me, for us, for her family.

Thank you, Mom, for everything. I will cherish you forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment