Sunday, May 13, 2007

Where Did Who Go?

The other day my husband and I went to his cousin's place. His cousin has a 2,5-year-old daughter and a 7-year-old son. His daughter, P, is such a happy little girl. I must say that I'm amazed whenever I look at that angelic blonde girl with blue eyes as I have never really seen it that close in real life. Sure I've seen lots of blonde girls with blue eyes on TV, but not in real life.

As I was just beginning to learn Finnish, of course P's Finnish was MUCH MUCH better than mine. The first time we met, she asked me to play with her. Basically I just followed her around and did whatever she wanted me to do. At the end of the day, when my husband and I were going home, she asked her Dad with a concerned face, "Dad, doesn't she speak?" Hubby and P's Dad laughed out loud when they heard the question, but I didn't understand it first, so I asked R2 about it in the car and it made me laugh, too. :-D R2 also said that her Dad tried to explain to her that I couldn't speak Finnish yet.

Anyway, the other day I did meet his son, too. He kept on staring at me whenever he could as though I had been a Martian. Even when he was talking to his Dad or Mum, he did his best to stare at me. I guess when you're old enough to understand differences between people and races, you know when you've encountered someone who doesn't "belong to" your own group. It's ironic that P NEVER stared at me. She looked at me just as a fellow human being, someone she could play with, not as a Chinese with almond eyes and jet black hair.

 


Another funny thing happened that day. P asked me to follow her upstairs to her playroom. Then she started "playing" with every board game that she had, even though she didn't really follow any rules, so I just played along. After some time, my bladder couldn't hold it anymore. As P's brother came into the room, I thought he would distract P's attention, so I tried to sneak by downstairs to go to the toilet. Unfortunately P noticed it and she asked me to come back. I tried my best to explain that I had to go to the toilet.

So down I went. I didn't exactly know what happened after that, but when I came out of the toilet, P and her brother were in the dining room with their mother. So I joined my husband and his cousin in another room.

On the way home, my husband told me that right after I went into the toilet, P came running downstairs and asked her Dad, "Dad, where did who go?" Apparently she didn't remember my name. Her Dad and my husband laughed out loud when they heard that question.

Funny little girl. :-)))) I still giggle now whenever I remember her innocent question. Yesterday I asked my husband to tell his parents about the incident (we visit them on Saturdays), and they both laughed out loud as well. :-))))

No comments:

Post a Comment