Let's make this post a bit more interactive, shall we? I hope people wouldn't mind submitting their thoughts, anyway. :-)))
Moving to a VERY different country certainly has its ups and downs. I think in life sometimes we learn something for the first time, but sometimes we re-learn things in a deeper way or in a different way.
These are the things I've been learning or re-learning in a deeper way so far (after having lived here for 2,5 months):
1. To TRULY accept my weaknesses, mistakes, and failures.
2. To laugh at myself, my mistakes, and my "stupidity" (yeah, I realize it's easier to laugh at somebody else's mistakes and folly - not a good trait to admit).
3. To accept myself as is (again), not learning to accept myself after I've accomplished this or that.
4. To cook and bake (sometimes I fail, sometimes I succeed).
5. To be good to myself (not beating myself up too much or not cursing myself too much; giving myself some slack) so that I can move on and start to improve myself.
6. To enjoy the simple joys in life. For example, something AWESOME happened last night. I think Midnight Sun's already here in Sodankylä. As my hubby and I were about to sleep at around midnight, I heard the birds chirping happily. Yes, at midnight, can you believe it?!?!?! It was SO lovely and amazing. Birds chirping at midnight as it was still bright out there. WOW!!!
7. To dare make mistakes, especially when it comes to practising Finnish. I've always been someone who's afraid at making mistakes (for fear of being laughed at), so now I'm beginning to let go of my perfectionism.
8. To stop having assumptions about anything as best as I can.
I guess that's all for now. The things I can remember. What about you? What have you learnt or re-learnt this past week, month, few months, year? Anything particular that you want to share with me? Feel free to express yourself. :-)))