Tuesday, January 15, 2008

There's Always a First Time for Everything!!!

I haven't had time to blog-hop or anything much today. First of all, I called my Mom for an hour via Skype hi hi hi...and then right after that I met a close friend of mine in YM (the one who doesn't have a computer at home), so we chatted for a while. Then I had to do something online and then hubby came home for lunch.

Then just as I was getting ready to blog, somebody called me. I didn't look at the number since I thought it was my Brit friend calling. Imagine my surprise when I found out that it was the office calling, the one that organized the Finnish course.

I'm rather glad that she spoke clear Finnish and the phone line was clear (we don't have any home phones, just mobile phones). And I'm GLAD that I could understand most of what she was saying. She said that today's class is cancelled since the teacher's sick. I was going to ask her if the next class is cancelled as well, but it took me a long time to think of how to form the sentence, so by the time I was going to ask her that, she had already said goodbye.

It was actually the FIRST time I had ever received a phone call when the other person talked in Finnish. I was glad that I didn't get nervous BEFORE I got the call, otherwise I probably wouldn't have understood A THING he he he he...

I contacted another friend of mine about it and she said that Thursday's class is on. For some reason, I've mixed up the days, as well. The course used to be on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, but now it's on Tuesdays and Thursdays hi hi hi hi hi...

Phew!!! Gladly it was a short call. SU, another friend of ours, says that she prefers talking face-to-face in Finnish rather than making a phone call, 'coz then at least she can use her body language to explain what she wants to convey, but you can't do that over the phone, right? Well...technically you can, but what good would it be? HE HE HE HE HE HE...

Okie dokie, now it's time for me to blog-hop and then I should go to the supermarket to buy some milk (yes, again hi hi hi hi).

8 comments:

  1. when i read this post. i remember the first time i move here. I was always scare when i hear the telp ring :D And i also like you when i have to call or accept call with Dutch language. i was so so nervous :D

    Thanks God i pass that time already ;) Now i am not too nervous if i have to call speak in Dutch.

    I think you will understand and speak Finnish very soon, Amel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be coming along really well with your Finnish to be able to understand almost everything the caller said to you. That's great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the Finnish is coming along nicely. Soon you'll be thinking in Finnish :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jul: Yeah, I knew you'd understand. gladly you're now used to speaking in Dutch, Jul he he he he...I hope that in 3 years my Finnish ability will be MUCH better he he...;-D

    Kathy: THANKS!!! I don't know, actually. I was also surprised that I managed to understand what she was saying. Well, but maybe that was 'coz she was using the words that I had memorized already he he he he...but still it was GREAT! ;-D

    Fish: THANKS for the support HE HE HE HE HE...I'll try to think in Finnish more often. ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amel
    I did not know if I told you but if you can get a hold of a Finnish Bible and if you read it every day you can improve your Finnish

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frasy: Yeah, you told me about that once. I'll go check it out later and find out which one I should buy. :-))))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me too... as juliana said.. in the beginning i was so nervous if i have to answer the telefoon and they would in dutch speaking.... what i said to them, speak english please, i don't understand hahahha........

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeanne: HE HE HE HE HE...I'm glad some others have experienced the same thing. :-))))

    ReplyDelete