Monday, August 27, 2007

Funny Language Debacles

I went to visit a website called 6d and found this article on funny language debacles. I'll only copy one paragraph written by Sally Armbrecht and you can read the rest of the article here.

When I came to Finland it never occurred to me that my name, Sally, would be mistaken for a Finnish slang word and cause confusion. The first occasion was when my boyfriend’s aunt called her daughter in Canada, telling her, “Timo has started to date an American Sally.” She slightly mispronounced my name and said sälli, a slang word for ‘dude’. At some point the phone call was cut short, and the result was that for a couple of weeks this cousin thought that Timo had come out of the closet and was dating a guy from America.


I advise you to read the article, especially if you need a laugh or two today (who doesn't?). *wink*

If I ever have funny experiences with Finnish, I'll surely write them down in this blog for your entertainment. ;-D

3 comments:

  1. Please do amel,It is always so interesting to learn about other cultures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frasypoo: Yep, I'll surely write down any weird or funny experiences. ;-D So don't you worry! ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the explanation of 3BT, Amel. I shall take a look at it later!

    ReplyDelete