Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Potty Training

Read about parents potty training babies here: Parents begin potty training at birth.

It reminds me of what my parents did to me when I was still a baby (younger than one year old). I don't know when exactly my Mom started potty training me, but it was obviously when I was pretty young. Back then (I was born in 1978) in Indo there were no disposable diapers and most mothers were still work-at-home mothers, so they started potty training their babies early on.

Well, during the nights when my Mom detected that I got anxious and I kept on moving around in my crib, she'd wake up and wake me up and potty train me. She said that parents could detect when their babies wanted to poo or pee.

Anyway, after some time Dad reprimanded Mom for waking me up every night to pee or poo. My Mom was seething inside, so one night when she heard me moving around anxiously in my crib, she didn't do anything. A while later, Dad woke up himself and found out that I had peed and I got pretty wet all over (I guess I must've peed a lot), so Dad had to change everything I was wearing. He did that while cooing, "Oh dear girl, look at this mess. You're really wet, honey."

Mom was laughing inside. She said to herself, "Even though you think it's cruel to wake the baby up in the middle of the night to poo or pee, it is by far more practical than having to change everything, you know?" But she said nothing to Dad.

The next night, when my Dad heard me moving around in my crib, it was he himself who woke me up to potty train me. LOL!!! Mom loves telling me stories about my childhood and this one always makes me SMILE. ^_______________________________^

12 comments:

  1. That's funny, your Mom is a wise woman ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fish: LOL!!! Yeah, living with a hard-headed guy like Dad, she has to know when to shut up and I truly admire her for that. ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I always love hearing and sharing personal stories about ourselves...this was so cute Amel...thank you for sharing it with us. Now speaking of sharing would you please drop back over to http://shinade.blogspot.com and pick up your golden rose and the key to my heart which you won over ages ago. :)))Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shinade: Yeah, the story never fails to make me smile. ;-D WOW!!! THANKS SO MUCH for this honour, Jackie!!! HUGSSSSSSSSSS for you!!! ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is really interesting. When I had babies, I didn't think about starting to potty train that early. It sounds like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy: So when did you start potty training them, I wonder?

    I have a friend living in the US. She used disposable diapers, so she only began potty-training the kid when he was around 2 or 2,5 years old. Funny thing was that when he could finally get the hang of pooing, he was SO surprised about it, so he yelled to his mother, "Mommy, mommy, something came out of my butt!" LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's all part of growing up with a child, Amel. Experiences they have to go through.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jean-Luc: THX for dropping by. Yeah, there're LOADS of experiences growing up with a child, eh? ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have great parents :) therefore a great story :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mother Hen: THANKS!!! Yeah, I'm a lucky one. ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hee-hee...how cute!! Thanks for sharing, Amel. I’d ask my mom about how she potty trained us.

    When my adorable niece was 2 years old, the potty became one of her toys. She would sit or stand on it with her diapers and sing. After a few months, when she reached 3 years old, my eldest sis and her husband said that they would buy her a big present to motivate her if she poo in the potty.

    One day, my sis was on the phone and she heard someone like dragging a chair...and she called out my niece’s name. She did answer, but my sis became so worried because suddenly everything was so silence. Then, she ran to the kitchen, and she saw my niece under the table. She asked what she’s doing down there, and my niece came out from under the table and said with a big smile on her face, "I poo poo in the potty..." Awww...isn’t she cute?! Then, she ran up to the couch where her dad’s napping and said, "papa, now I want a BIIIGGG present..." hehe...

    At least, now she won’t ask for any present if she uses the potty, but she did invite me to play with her toys. She'd say, "I got a lot of toys, a computer, a piano, a potty..." haha..still one of her toys...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Choc Mint Girl: THX for sharing the story about your niece. So the potty becomes her toy? LOL!!! She must be SO cute he he he...

    It's funny how this little story of mine got a lot of responses he he he...;-D

    ReplyDelete