Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Lights in the House

When I first met my Brit friend, she told me something funny about apartments in Finland. Most of them are equipped with a sauna, a fridge, and a kitchenette, yet there are no lamps or light fixtures. There are only holes on the ceiling, so they had to buy everything (the lamps and the fixtures) for each room and she said that the total cost was quite much.

I've never really thought about lighting issues that much before I moved to Finland. Good lighting here is very important, especially during winter as it gets dark from 3.30 pm until 8.30 am.

If you're into contemporary stuff, I think you might like George Kovacs lamps. Personally speaking, I've always been fascinated by fine art lamps, particularly a massive chandelier that is usually hung in fancy hotels or in rich people's houses. I can't imagine how much their electric bill costs, though, but I suppose money is not a problem when you're rich or when you have plenty of rich clients coming in to stay in your expensive suites, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment