Friday, November 16, 2007

A Date with A Russian Friend

Yesterday my Brit friend sent me an email, telling me that our mutual Russian friend in our Finnish class called her to ask her to meet for a cup of coffee, but my Brit friend was so busy, so she asked me if I wanted to meet her. I said yes, so she gave me her phone number. I called my Russian friend this morning to ask her if she had any plans. She was excited to meet me somewhere downtown. I had to cook and stuff before I could go, so we arranged to meet in a cafe at 2 pm.

It was -9'C when I went out. Arttu had left for Rovaniemi already at midday. He and his coworkers and boss had lunch at a restaurant downtown before going to Rovaniemi. I don't even know when he's going to come back home tomorrow he he he...My guess is after midday. ;-D

Anyway, while walking to the cafe, I noticed an old lady sitting down on top of 20-cm snow. When I walked closer to her, she said, "Liukas" (slippery), so I tried to help her get up, but it wasn't easy 'coz she didn't seem to have enough strength to pull herself up by holding my hand. GLADLY there was a man and his daughter right behind me and he was strong enough to pull her up to her feet by holding her from below her armpits. They talked pretty fast in Finnish that I didn't understand except for "Kiitos" (thank you), so I left them be. When I turned around, the man was walking her home he he he...I think it was such a NICE gesture, don't you think so? He wanted to make sure that she got home safely.

I continued walking and my Russian friend bought me some coffee. Then we sat and talked for about an hour he he he...She said that she had been living here for 3.5 years, but she hadn't made too many friends, especially during the first year. For some reason, her husband didn't want her to work, but she got lonely staying at home with her daughter all the time. She said she needed a car to be able to go around this village easily. Plus she's 7 months' pregnant now (her daughter's 2 years old), so it'll be VERY hard on her to get around this village once the second child is born.

For some other reason, her husband doesn't let her use their internet connection at home. She has a laptop, but she can only get online whenever she comes back to Russia (she comes back to Russia every month). I think I'll go nuts without the internet he he he he...

After a while, she said that she was going to meet her Russian friend who worked in the nearby toy store, so I walked with her to that store since it was on my way home. Her daughter had been SO good while we were talking at the cafe. She didn't cry, she didn't get cranky or anything...she walked around the place or just sat down while chewing some pie. However, when my friend was about to put her in this snow sled (I don't actually know the term for this kind of sled-like seat made of plastic with a rope around it where you can pull), the daughter refused to sit there. She cried and even while she dragged her to walk with her, she refused. She carried her for a while, but then she let her down again as she was 7 months' pregnant, but still her daughter refused to go. She even lay down on the pavement which was covered by snow, can you believe it?

Tsk tsk tsk...She said her husband asked her why they didn't go out every day. She said to him, "Why don't you try just once to go out with her alone without me? Then you'll understand how tough it is." He he he he he he...Finally she carried her daughter again and we arrived at the store and we parted.

All in all, it was a GREAT date. We talked about lots of stuff and she invited me to her house he he he...I want to visit her house just as long as it's not too cold outside. It was freezing when I walked home. I checked on the temperature and it's now down to -10'C. I bought a pair of angora shorts the other day from Lidl 'coz my butt and belly get cold so easily. When I walked home, my face was half-frozen stiff. Yikes!!! I can't imagine how cold it's gonna be when it's -35.5'C outside or even worse than that!!! Maybe next time I should bring my scarf to wrap around my face. Yeah...that's a good idea! ;-D

My Brit friend told me about a Christmas fair tomorrow. I don't know yet whether I'm going there or not. I want to go there, but if it's too cold, I may pass he he he he he...Although I'm actually kinda curious about what it's going to be like. Hmmmm...if I'm going there, better take my digicam with me. ;-D

7 comments:

  1. Sometimes children can be tough!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frasy: Yeah, indeed he he he...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of my kids drive me nuts when we go out somewhere LOL! but I love them anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelcey: Hmmm...seems your comment was cut of for some reason. :-((((

    Kasper: Hi, Dawn! Yeah, of course you'll love them no matter what he he he...;-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hoping that I would have a virtual tour to the Christmas fair tomorrow... ;P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Choc Mint Girl: Yeah, I took a couple of pics and I'm gonna upload them now he he he...

    ReplyDelete