Monday, December 03, 2007

Berlin vs Vienna

Two cities that I've written down in my travel list are Berlin and Vienna. Let's take a quick tour of different tourist attractions in both cities.

1. Berlin

When we hear Berlin, I think the first thing that came to our mind would be the Berlin Wall and the Third Reich. A city with such a history must be fascinating to visit. Just imagine the many tourist attractions you can visit that are connected to those events in history.

First of all, I'd love to see Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp which was built during the Third Reich. This is the earliest concentration camp located in Oranienburg, north of Berlin. There are two museums there to help me understand the history of the camp and the barracks and all that.

Secondly, still related to the Third Reich, I'd love to visit Topographie des Terrors. This free tourist attraction showcases underground cells along with lots of photographs with German captions. I don't understand German, but I don't have to worry at all as the information booth provides a free audio guide in English.

Third stop would be Postdamer Platz, a huge square that used to be divided by half by the Berlin Wall. These days there are plenty of modern architecture buildings in the area, including shops, cinemas, restaurants, and a magnificent Sony Centre. My friend once took a video clip of this place and it was really a bustling, modern place indeed. Definitely a place to visit!

2. Vienna

Browsing through Vienna's tourist attractions makes me feel sure that it's definitely a centre of music. After all, plenty of well-known composers were born there, such as Mozart, Beethoven, Haydn, Brahms, Liszt, and Schubert. There are so many tourist attractions that are related to music: Haus der Musik, The Vienna Boys' Choir, The Vienna Philharmonic, and Vienna State Opera.

As you all know, I'm VERY interested in visiting any opera house. I also happen to like some classical music, so I'd love to watch an opera or a classical musical or a concert in a huge opera house. I wanna enjoy the ambiance and the grandeur of the opera house.

Other than that, I also read that Viennese love outdoor movie festivals. I've never been to one, so it's gonna be an experience of a lifetime! However, in order to enjoy this, I have to go there in summer.

Last but not least, I'd love to cruise the Danube and climb up the Danube Tower to enjoy the view of the surrounding area!!! This tower is built 252 metres high and it has 776 steps. However, better go there when the weather is clear, otherwise you can't see anything much. With the help of a lift, you can get to the top of the tower in just 35 seconds. Splendid!

Well, there are still many more tourist attractions in both cities, but it's a wrap for now, folks!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment